When processing personal data, we must tell people what we are doing with it.
WHY WE PROCESS YOUR INFORMATION
We generally process your information when we need to do so to fulfil a contractual obligation or where we or someone we work with needs to use your personal information for a reason related to their business (for example, to provide you with a service).
We collect information about you through our website (when you complete our forms) and securely send it to Empirical Removals.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) and the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the data controller is Adrian David, London, SW11 3NQ, who also is the Data Protection Officer (DPO) and you may contact him to find out more about the way we treat and use personal data via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IF YOU DO NOT PROVIDE PERSONAL DATA
If we need to process the data you provide us with about yourself to fulfil our service and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the services, in which case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us. We will of course notify you if this is the case at the time.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE USE?
We will collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us about you.
This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on our website (empiricalremovals.co.uk) that you may access directly or through another website, or by corresponding with us by e-mail or otherwise. It only includes basic personal data required for you to be able to use our site, request a quote and when you report a problem with our website. The information you give us may include your full name, address, e-mail address and phone number. It may also include specific details about your project, such as the description of the type of work you need to be carried out for example.
Information we collect about you.
With regard to each of your visits to our website [empiricalremovals.co.uk] we will automatically collect the following information:
- Technical information, including the Internet Protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our website (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page.
HOW DO WE USE THIS INFORMATION?
We will only use personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests. These include:
- We have a legitimate interest to use your personal data to facilitate your requested quotes from us.
- We balance the risks of processing your personal data with our legitimate interest by including mitigation measures such as only sharing data with third parties that we strictly need to, to provide our service (to you and our clients), encrypting your data if we store it and ensuring your data is deleted where appropriate.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data, apart from in relation to marketing and cookies (discussed below).
Information you give to us.
We will use this information:
- To provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- To notify you about important changes to our service.
Information we collect about you.
We will use this information:
- To administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To improve our website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so;
- As part of our efforts to keep our website safe and secure.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising. We may use your contact details and technical data that we collect about you, such as your IP address and the way you browse our website to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you (we call this marketing).
You may receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us or if you provided us with your details when you requested a quote and in each case, you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time at email@example.com
Where you opt-out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a product/service purchase, warranty registration, product/service experience or other transactions.
REMARKETING AND BEHAVIOURAL TARGETING
The way it works is that when you visit our website your web browser automatically sends certain information to Google. This includes the URL of our site and your IP address. Google may also set cookies on your browser or read cookies that are already there. Google may use this data to profile you and provide targeted advertising accordingly.
Google uses the information shared by our site to deliver its services, maintain and improve them, develop new services, measure the effectiveness of advertising, protect against fraud and abuse, and personalise content and ads you see on Google.
To find out more about your options and how to opt-out of interest-based advertising and behavioural targeting, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative website. You may also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more, and where possible, we will exclude your personal data from this processing.
WHERE DO WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION?
All personal data we process is processed by our staff who are based in the UK.
For the purposes of IT hosting and maintenance, this information is located on servers within the European Economic Area.
Some of our external third parties such as Google are based in the US, outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal data will involve a transfer of data outside the EEA. We also have developers who may have access to your personal data as part of their activities for our business.
Please contact us at email@example.com if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the UK.
Once we have received your information, we have a Data Protection regime in place to oversee the effective and secure processing of your personal data and we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
However and unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our website at the transmission stage; any transmission is at your own risk.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION FOR?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
We are required under UK tax law to keep basic personal data about our customers (name, address, contact details) for a minimum of 6 years after which time it will be destroyed.
In some circumstances, we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
In some circumstances, you can ask us to delete your data. See below for further information.
WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS?
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data:
- Request access to your personal data.
- Request correction of your personal data.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request restriction of processing your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent.
EXERCISING YOUR RIGHTS
If you wish to exercise any of your rights set out above, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can exercise your right to object to the processing of your personal data at any time using the contact details above.
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.